Thursday, July 5, 2012

Boot Camp - ADD

As I have discussed before, there are many ways to manage ADD.  Pharmaceutical is certainly one popular way.  Behavioral is another.  It's why I think that recent changes to the way our society operates is encouraging and creating ADD in others where it might otherwise remain dormant, but that's another rant, I mean post. 

Structure is supposed to do wonders for kids and adults with ADD.  Habits work miracles.  And it's true.  Once something becomes a habit, then when we don't do it, we feel this pull towards doing it. 

It's one of the reasons I like FlyLady.  Besides her encouragement that just a few minutes at a time will accomplish considerable amounts (which is true), she encourages us to develop habits, and doesn't try to get us to do it all at once.  She recognizes it takes time for habits to develop and doesn't overwhelm us.  Problem is as a single person, doing dishes daily seems silly and keeping my sink clean doesn't mean much to me.  (Before you think eww, she must have a lot of dishes outstanding, let me be clear of two things: 1) sometimes the only dish might be a cup, or a fork and 2) if I'm gonna wash dishes, I'm gonna get a sink full of sudsy water to do it - I'm gonna do it right!).

But I have tried to add habits like making my bed each morning.  And over the last six months, I can see a habit or two that has stuck.  My life-span, however, is limited, and adding only a habit or two every six months is kinda slow...

What I really wish I'd had the opportunity to do, frankly, is boot camp.  Have someone else altogether tell me what to do.  And to do so over and over and over again, until I couldn't help but do it myself on my own.  Now, I didn't join the military because at the time I had this not-liking-guns-very-much thing, which has mellowed some in my old age (a natural process when you live with an ex-cop for ten years who keeps a gun in your house - but while I have "handled" a gun, I still have not shot one nor have any particular desire to do so).

But to wake up every morning at the same time every day and then do the same morning routine sounds like heaven to me.  How much could I accomplish if I actually knew what to do with myself when I woke up?   I know that sounds strange - but remember, I'm currently working a contract job during the day that I have no set time when I am expected to arrive.  That gives me a whole host of freedom and not a lot of structure.  I've even Tweeted one morning this past week where I have managed to get myself ready, bags packed in the car, when I have decided, instead, to work from home.  Freedom is wonderful, in theory, but for someone with ADD, it can also be a negative.  (I did get more work done that day at home than I think I would have gotten done at work.. ADD needs change of scenery sometimes, too, to be productive).

ADD requires a lot.  Ugh!

But I'd love to wake up at x hour every day, be motivated to do PT, make my bed, square myself away, and be ready to face the day.  To have all of those things be automatic.  And I believe, in my fantasy world, that having gone to boot camp, I would have learned some of those skills.  And I idealistically believe that twenty years later, I would still remember and practice some of those habits. 

Where is my drill instructor?

No comments:

Post a Comment