Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dear Westboro Baptist Church

Now generally, I'm not going to spout political or religious stuff in my blog.  That's not what I'm about.  But the things that do tend to fall under those categories, that I might talk about, I talk about because they are fundamental to the human condition, or useful in my story.

When I'm on #wineparty on my iPhone, and I start to write that hashtag #w, frequently the first option Twitter offers me is #WestboroBaptistChurch.  Oh, Twitter, how little you know me.  Although today, when I post this entry on Twitter, I might finally use it.

I was in the shower today and thinking about the phrase "conditional love" and thinking how those two words don't go together.  How that really is a paradox.  Now, I wasn't thinking of the church at the time, but it was the beginning of that winding path that led me here by the end of my shower.

Yes, that's right boys and girls, it's time for another Shower Topic blog post. 

Dear Westboro Baptist Church,

I don't think God would look very kindly at you for disrespecting his Creation.  I think there's a spark of God in all of us, and when you hurt anyone, particularly deliberately, I think you hurt God, too.  (Cue up Joan Osborne's "One of Us" music)

Jesus told his disciples to go out and preach the Gospel.  Nowhere in the Gospel have I found Jesus telling anyone that you should hate anyone else.  Nope.  In the last few lessons at MY church the last few weeks, Jesus has wandered amongst the unclean and loved them.  Frankly the only ones I've noticed Jesus be upset with or encourage shunning or avoiding are those who are self-righteous...

I don't care if you like me. I don't need you to love me.  And while God may ask that of you, I don't.  And I think He might understand that it is difficult to love everyone.  Jesus talked about it a lot, in fact.  It is not easy to love one another as I love you.  But try. 

But I don't expect it.  I don't require it (not that my requirements should matter to you).  I just ask you simply to allow me to live my life in peace.  You don't need to bless my unions - my church and my God will do that.  You don't need to come to my funeral - in fact, I kinda would prefer if you didn't, since you don't seem to act particularly respectful of the dead and those who mourn.  But I may invite the folks at Texas A&M to come.  They seem to understand what it means to honor the dead and respect the living. 

If Jesus were here today, do you think he'd want anyone's website that was proclaiming his GOOD News to have the words "God Hates" in the domain name?  No.  God doesn't hate.  God loves.  And Jesus asked you to do the same, although he didn't expect it.

I think God and Jesus would accept the following compromise:  You live your life and follow your beliefs, and do no harm to others, and I will do the same.  Fair enough?

Sincerely,
A Child of God

No comments:

Post a Comment